Monday, January 25, 2016

My Linden Sweatshirt

I've been having fun sewing Linden sweatshirts (just one of many appealing patterns by Grainline Studio) over the past couple of weeks. I finished this version over the weekend when we were snowed (or, iced, actually) in. It was a good weekend to sew something super comfy!


I really love this pattern! It's been a happy starting place for my year of garment sewing. It is really such a straightforward, quick sew, and I still learned a bit from sewing it. For starters, I've finally switched over from using a narrow zigzag stitch to using the stretch stitch on my Bernina. This stitch uses a lot more thread but also seems a lot stronger. I also learned to use a double needle to give the neckline a nice professional finish. 


It seems that this top would be great in a wide variety of knits. My first version, in french terry (from Imagine Gnats shop) has a distinct sweatshirt look. While this version, done in some lovely new Cloud9 knits, is a little less sporty, but still so comfortable. For sizing on both tops, I went with the sizing indicated for my bust and then graded the pattern piece out to my hip size. I found my first version was a tiny bit short, so I decided to add about 1.5 inches to the length on this one. I love how the pattern pieces indicate where to lengthen/shorten!


Growing up as a brown-eyed girl, people always told me that brown looked good on me, so I went with it in many of my wardrobe choices. I recall having a closet full of brown, actually. But, then brown started to disappear and everything was grey, black and white. Recently though, I've started to see brown sneak back into fashion and color trends. So, anyway, I was pretty excited when I found these pretty brown prints by Cloud9. It's such a lovely soft shade and I love the floral + stripes pairing!



I definitely see more Lindens in my future. Right now, the two I've made are on a steady rotation. I'm looking forward to the garment pattern I'm going to try next though! Something a little dressier. I can't wait!  


5 comments:

  1. This is seriously just the best. Every time I look at it I love it more and more. Makes me want to bust out my 25 year old sewing machine, Bessie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!!! Bessie could make this for sure! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Very helpful suggestions that help in the optimizing website. thank for sharing the link.
    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete